Alghour

Tel al-Sultan

Ancient Jericho: Tel al-Sultan is a mound northwest of the present city. Archeologists believe that the city was heavily fortified and had 2,000 inhabitants. The fortress built at Tel al-Sultan stretched over six acres and had 20 foot walls. The public buildings had arched gates and courtyards and stone columns. Unearthed skulls of women had head dresses similar to the one still worn by rural women in Palestine. Tombs included household items such as weaving looms, clothes, beddings, mats, tables, chairs, plates, jugs, copper basins, water jars, pots and clay ovens. Family tombs contained traces of food, cooked or grilled mutton , and the remains of cereals, pomegranates, and raisins, next to the bodies

The Sultan’s Eye:

(Spring of Elisha):  According to local lore, one of the kings of Jerusalem had his eyes poked out here by the Babylonians – thus the Arab name, “Sultan’s eye.” The Bible tells of the prophet Elisha healing/cleansing the polluted water of the spring at the request of people of Jericho. The spring still provides an important water source for the people of Jericho and their farmlands.

Herod’s Winter Palace:

(Tel Abu al-‘Alayiq): This elevated spot has been home to palaces during several historical periods. The Hellenistic era saw the construction of what are known as twin palaces. Herod built no less than three in all: the first, when the famous Egyptian queen Cleopatra reigned over the whole Jordan Valley; the second, after an earthquake and the third, after Cleopatra’s suicide, was built with hard mud brick made from clay mixed with sand, because it had become clear that the climate in Jericho was not suited for Rome’s building materials. Only the traditional Roman baths were built in the Roman style

Nabi Musa:

This sanctuary in the desert was erected under Mameluke sultan Baybar (1260-1277). Muslim tradition has it that this is the burial place of the prophet Moses (Nabi Musa). In the 1820s, the Ottomans began a popular festival at the site. During the festival, Palestinians from Haifa, Jaffa, Nablus, and Jerusalem regularly partook in the celebration, sending delegations of dancers, poets, and artisans to represent their cities and villages.

In modern history, the site became a gathering place for the politically active. As a result the site was closed in 1937 by the British government. Later, it was transformed into a Jordanian, then an Israeli military camp. Today, a local Palestinian family lives at the sanctuary.

Hishams Palace :

Located just 5 miles to the north of Jericho, and is considered one of the most important landmarks in Palestine. The palace was built by the Umayyad caliph Hisham bin Abdul Malik years 724-743 AD and Alwaleed bin yazid 743-749 AD, it is known that the Umayyad dynasty Arabic has ruled an empire stretching from India to France, and as is the case with most of the caliphs Arabs preferred Caliph Hisham bin Abdul Malik on the freedom of the desert city life in the capital, Damascus. Palace is a collection of buildings and bathtubs, mosques and large halls

The mountain of temptation:

is said to be the hill in the Judaean Desert where Jesus was tempted by the devil . The exact location is unknown and impossible to determine. It is generally identified with Mount Quarantania, a mountain approximately 366 metres high, located about 11 km (6.8 mi) northwest of the West Bank town of Jericho. According to the public domain , Quarantania is “a limestone peak on the road from Jerusalem to Jericho”.It is mentioned in a poem of the Temptation event by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.Atop the mount is the Greek Orthodox Monastery of the Temptation or “Qarantal”. Above Qarantal, on top of the cliff, is a wall that sits on the ruins of the Hasmonean (later Herodian) fortress, Dok – Dagon.In 1998, a 1,300 metres long cable car was built from Jericho’s Tel Sultan to the level of the monastery by an Austrian-Swiss company as an tourist attraction for the year 2000.

Masada:

is an ancient fortification in the Southern District of Palestinian situated on top of an isolated rock plateau (akin to a mesa) on the eastern edge of the Judaean Desert, overlooking the Dead SeaHerod the Great built palaces for himself on the mountain and fortified Masada between 37 and 31 BCE. According to Josephus, the Siege of Masada by troops of the Roman Empire towards the end of the First Jewish–Roman War ended in the mass suicide of the 960Sicarii rebels and their families hiding there. Masada is located 20 kilometres (12 mi) east of Arad.

The Sea of Dead’s:

also called the Salt Sea ,and is a salt lake bordering Jordan to the east, and Palestine from the west. Its surface and shores are 427 meters below sea level,[3] Earth’s lowest elevation on land. The Dead Sea is 306 m deep, the deepest hyper saline lake in the world. With 34.2% salinity (in 2011), it is also one of the world’s saltiest bodies of water. This salinity makes for a harsh environment in which animals cannot flourish, hence its name. The Dead Sea is 50 kilometers (31 mi) long and 15 kilometers (9 mi) wide at its widest point. It lies in the Jordan Rift Valley, and its main tributary is the Jordan River.

The Dead Sea has attracted visitors from around the Mediterranean basin for thousands of years.. It was one of the world’s first health resorts , and it has been the supplier of a wide variety of products, from balms for Egyptian mummification to potash for fertilizers. People also use the salt and the minerals from the Dead Sea to create cosmetics and herbal sachets.